Tuesday, February 4, 2020

1.1 - Goldbloom in Glimmerbrook


What's this?, I hear you ask. Another challenge from DSLady, notorious challenge abandoner and procrastinator? The woman who continuously starts challenges despite knowing - and often stating - that it's a terrible idea? 

Why yes!

This is technically a Garden Legacy, but I'm refusing to call it a legacy because that word instils in me a deep fear of ten generations of neglect and guilt. So, challenge it is!



I had a few false starts with this challenge, but I decided to keep them in for the sake of bulking up an update with pictures (let's face it, most of her life is going to be gardening, and you really don't need to see copious pictures of plants) and for the sake of "storytelling".

Pfft.


Anyway, meet Emily Goldberg! She's a sim I made pending the release of Realm of Magic (can you tell?), so despite the fact that she's wearing a witches hat and blatantly looks like a spellcaster, she is not one.

What she is, however, is a genius plant fanatic.

A little like myself, actually, minus the genius part.
(My plant collection is both extensive and out of control.)


She's living on the lot that used to belong to the Charm household - they have been relocated to... somewhere - and it is completely empty.

I wasn't sure if the rules of the traditional legacy start applied to this challenge or not, but I really wanted to run this challenge in Glimmerbrook so I picked the biggest lot here and then set Emily's funds to zero.

We waved goodbye to both 15k and the Welcome Wagon, and Emily officially began her garden challenge.



After scavenging her way around the neighbourhood all day, I then realised she was going to need at least some form of shelter, lest she get permanently sick or wet or god knows what else. 


Except that she then didn't have enough money for a shower. Or a toilet. Or a fridge.

So poor stinky Emily stands on her front lawn and eats a plate of the leftover fruitcake she's been carrying in her pocket all night.



Harvesting and planting plants from around the neighbourhood is a good way to get going for now; especially with the ability to research plants as a way to get her gardening skill up!



Okay, reset number two!
I checked out somebody else's garden legacy and saw that their sim had a house; so my sim is gonna get a house!

So, Emily gets herself an adorable micro cottage which costs less than 15k simoleans, because that is how much she was left with when I first placed her down.


And within 30 seconds of letting her loose into the house, she sets it on fire.


She does manage to extinguish it herself first before she actually burns down the entire house, but she does ruin the very expensive oven that she cannot afford to replace.

Emily: Yes, because you took the remains of my money.


Yes, for the sake of a challenge, I set her money back to nothing once I'd placed down the house.

So now there was an extra mini challenge thrown in; earn enough money to buy back the stove she burned down!

Fantastic.




After a few days of harvesting random plants, digging up rocks, and breeding and selling frogs, Emily finally had enough to buy a flower arranging table.

I went for that over just saving for the oven, because it's actually a surprisingly successful way to make money? 



And then she finally had enough to replace the oven.

The insurance money didn't cover it (it never does) because she also managed to destroy the counter next to it in her fire, and I used the insurance money to replace that.



On of the 'challenges' for this generation is to have a cat and a dog, so here's the Goldbloom pup, an energetic, loyal hunter, Pumpkin!

She's very cute, and Emily loves her a lot. Be prepared for a lot of pictures of her!



Unfortunately, with the size and layout of Emily's micro home, it wasn't really possible to put down a pet bed anywhere for Pumpkin. I'd wondered/hoped if she'd be able to sleep on the empty side of Emily's bed, but apparently not.

I guess she likes the floor!


The garden is coming along now; she has some lemon trees, and sage, bluebell, and parsley bushes





Emily's life right now mostly consists of gardening and taking care of Pumpkin. It's peaceful and very sweet.


Also, Pumpkin loves to sleep in between the plant bushes. I mean, she is named after a bush herself, but even still.


The garden is growing by the day!


It's always walkies time when you're an active lil pup.




She's very loud and very needy, but Emily has plenty of time for her!


This is a clever trick I really like - these plants are technically considered sheltered, but it doesn't take up any tile space because it's a roof!



It's summer time! Wet and dark spring is now fully over, and I can get some decent pictures.


It's also time for kitties! Pumpkin is firmly settled into the household, and she's learned to pee outside and not to wake Emily up while she sleeps, so I think it's a decent time to get her a cat.


I wanted a grown up cat for her because kittens are just so small, but the only cute ones were babies, so here's a fleet of babies!!



Emily's favourite seemed to be the grey american shorthair, so welcome in Whiskers!




I aged him up pretty quickly, and oh my god he has massive bug eyes! He's ridiculous looking, but I love him.


I did scale his eyes down just because they really were so massive, but he's otherwise adorable! He's a clever, playful, affection kitty cat, and I love him.





More pet spam is inevitable; I really haven't played much with the pets side of the expansion (I use so much of the furniture and clothes) because they're kind of bugged in the city, but they're so cute and so well done!

Maybe they could whine less, that would be nice, but hey.



Emily can't possibly live in Glimmerbrook without going to the Magic Realm at least once, right!?

It's time to hunt for friends and ~more~!

No comments:

Post a Comment